RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-01.txt

>>> "Ramsay, Ron" <Ron.Ramsay@ca.com> 2/28/01 8:00:35 PM >>>
>Hi,
>
>Before 4.1.2:
>
>   A client MUST NOT reuse the message id of an abandonRequest of the
>   abandoned operation until it has received a response from the server
>   for another request invoked subsequent to the abandonRequest, as the
>   abandonRequest itself does not have a response.
>
>Should the second 'of' be an 'or'?

It should be 'or of'. This is a stray typo introduced by pulling out a previous change.

>Start of 4.1.6
>
>   A field of type AttributeValue is an OCTET STRING containing an
>   encoded value of an AttributeValue data type.
>
>Isn't this self-referential?

How about "containing an encoded attribute value data type"?

>Before 4.1.8
>
>        Clients may
>   use attribute values as assertion values in compare requests and
>   search filters.
>
>How can this be?

I'm not sure what the intent of that sentence is. I'll ask Mark.

>4.1.10
>
>        In response
>   to various requests, servers will return responses containing fields
>   of type LDAPResult to indicate the final status of a protocol
>   operation request.
>
>But LDAPResult is not a field? Should it actually say 'fields from the type
>LDAPResult'?

Some responses return LDAPResult, another returns COMPONENTS OF LDAPResult. We could reword to: "...servers will return responses of LDAPResult or responses containing the componsnts of LDAPResponse to indicate...".

>What about dropping the '--new' from the result codes. It is not new in this
>standard, it is new since LDAPv2, which now makes it old.

We could do that.

>4.1.11
>
>   The referral is not returned for a singleLevel or wholeSubtree search
>   in which the search scope spans multiple naming contexts, and several
>   different servers would need to be contacted to complete the
>   operation. Instead, continuation references, described in section
>   4.5.3, are returned.
>
>Doesn't this rather miss the point. A referral is only returned if the base
>object couldn't be located (navigated to). The response to a search 'in
>which the search scope spans multiple naming contexts' may be a referral or
>not - it doesn't depend on scope or naming contexts.

I think this is just extra information. We could choose to pull it out, and doing so wouldn't affect the protocol, but I don't see it as misleading or confusing. Do you think it causes problems?

I'll add the above items to the tracking list.

Jim