From: owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Kurt D. Zeilenga
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 2:12 PM
To: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: DN "published table" opinion

The DN string representation [RFC2253] is used in LDAP to
transfer a DN [X.501] between two protocol peers.  The
format must unambiguously represent a DN.

Numeric OIDs provide unambiguous naming.  Attribute type names
do not.  The published table mechanism is designed to allow
use of common attribute type names in a manner which eliminates
the ambiguity.

I believe adding a statement allowing alternative tables
would add ambiguity as to which table was in use which
cannot be resolved with adding "new features".  I hence
oppose adding such a statement.

Kurt