RE: AttributeTypeValue and binary

Ok, now that I understand the discussion, I'll try again. :-)

The wording suggested above got me into the wrong discussion because phrases
like "... encoding to be used" seem to indicate a request for an encoding.

If this language is going into 4.1.6, how about rewording it as:

In the absence of an option specifying the transfer encoding (e.g.
";binary"), the AttributeValue is encoded using the string encoding.
Otherwise, the transfer encoding is that specified by the option.  Multiple
options specifying transfer encoding MUST NOT be present.  At the time of
this writing, there is only one transfer encoding option, ";binary"
(4.1.5.1).

Then it also needs to be repeated or referenced so it applies to
AssertionValue in 4.1.7 as well.