RE: AttributeTypeValue and binary

At 05:53 PM 1/26/01 -0700, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Okay, so we're saying that when the default encoding is NOT a string encoding, it MUST be accompanied by an AttributeDescription.option that specifies the encoding.

Yes, certificate's default encoding is BER and ";binary" must be
specified.

>I wrote it in anticipation of there someday being an encoding which is not a string encoding, and also doesn't require an AttributeDescription.option. (ala something I read in http://www.OpenLDAP.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200101/msg00039.html).

I don't mind language that like:
  In the absence of an option specifying the transfer encoding
  (e.g. ";binary"), the string encoding is used.  Otherwise, the
  transfer encoding is that specified by the option.  Multiple
  options specifying transfer encoding MUST NOT be present.  At
  the time of this writing, there is only one option, ";binary"
  (4.1.5.1), which specifies the transfer encoding to be used.

I don't view rfc2251 as disallowing additional options specifying
alternative transfer encoding.

Kurt