RE: AttributeTypeValue and binary

Kurt,

Help me understand what your saying, are you saying this?

<<
I think you are now confusing the relationship between:

1) the transfer encoding and the attribute description (4.1.6) and

2) issues dealing with requested (implicit or explicit) attribute descriptions v. returned attribute descriptions (which is what I did previously).

If so, I'm trying to address #1, not #2. Help me understand what it is in the paragraph that makes one think about #2.

At 09:16 PM 1/25/01 -0700, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>A field of type AttributeValue is an OCTET STRING containing an encoding of the value syntax of the companion attribute type. The syntax of each attribute type defines a default encoding, that encoding is used unless an option is present in the companion AttributeDescription which overrides the default encoding. For example, if the "binary" option is present, the value will be the BER encoding of the value.
>
>The definition of encodings for different syntaxes and types may be found in other documents, and in particular [RFC2252].

Hmm... I'm not sure I'm happy with this.  I think you are now
confusing the relationship between the transfer encoding
and the attribute description (4.1.6) and issues dealing
with requested (implicit or explicit) attribute descriptions
v. returned attribute descriptions (which is what I did
previously).

Kurt