RE: AttributeTypeValue and binary

Kurt,

> userCertificate is to be transferred using the binary option
> regardless of whether the binary option is present in the request.

RFC 2252, Section 6.5 says userCertificate MUST be *requested* as
userCertificate;binary as well, but since I've encountered clients that
use userCertificate with the values BER encoded I'm not against relaxing
this apparent restriction.

A couple of questions come to mind. If an attribute's syntax has no
string encoding (like Access Point) must the attribute be requested
and returned with the ;binary option ? What about attributes with the
Binary syntax ? Consistency would require that they be requested
with the ;binary option as well.

I'm happy for the attribute to be returned as requested, with or without
the ";binary" option, with the default encoding applying where there
is no encoding option given. The only thing this would break is clients
that ask for, e.g. userCertificate, but expect to be returned
userCertificate;binary. According to 6.5 these clients are already broken.

Regards,
Steven