RE: When to not deref aliases

At 12:53 AM 1/24/01 -0500, Richard V Huber wrote:
>If aliases are not dereferenced for BINDs, what is the expected
>behavior when the dn of an alias is used as the argument to BIND?

invalidCredentials.  The provided DN/password pair, which
together are the credentials, is invalid.

>As Thomas Salter noted in a previous posting, an alias entry will
>typically not have the UserPassword attribute needed for a simple BIND,
>nor would it have any other attributes that might be used as part of
>authentication.

I actually believe aliasing dereferencing in bind should be
disallowed as there bind cannot return aliasProblem or
aliasDereferencingProblem per RFC 2251.  But "SHOULD NOT" is
enough.

>It seems to me that saying BIND SHOULD NOT or MUST NOT dereference
>aliases is pretty much the same as saying that BIND should never be
>used with an alias as its target dn.

Imperitives are to should be applied and interpreted as detailed
in RFC 2119.

>If this is our intent, let's say
>so explicitly (this would avoid some really messy access control
>issues).  But let's not do it as a side effect.

I believe there are sufficient security considerations to
require a "SHOULD NOT".