From: Jim Sermersheim [mailto:JIMSE@novell.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 24 January 2001 5:43
To: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: When to not deref aliases

I believe some semblance of consensus has been reached on this issue.

- There is some agreement that BindRequest.name is not dereferenced.
Compelling arguments include existing behavior among implementations, and
the lack of a mechanism to specify alias dereferencing behavior.

- There is strong agreement that ModifyDNRequest.entry is not dereferenced.

- There is semi-strong agreement that CompareRequest.entry is not
dereferenced. The arguments are the same as those for bind.

Unless there are enough objections to outweigh current agreements, I'll make
the following changes:

4.2 <info added as last sentence of name description>
<-	name: The name of the directory object that the client wishes to
bind as. This field may take on a null value (a zero length string) for the
purposes of anonymous binds, when authentication has been performed at a
lower layer, or when using SASL credentials with a mechanism that includes
the LDAPDN in the credentials.
>-	name: The name of the directory object that the client wishes to
bind as. This field may take on a null value (a zero length string) for the
purposes of anonymous binds, when authentication has been performed at a
lower layer, or when using SASL credentials with a mechanism that includes
the LDAPDN in the credentials. Note that the server will not perform any
alias dereferencing in determining the object to bind as.

4.9 <info added as last sentence of entry description>
<-	entry: the Distinguished Name of the entry to be changed. This entry
may or may not have subordinate entries.
>-	entry: the Distinguished Name of the entry to be changed. This entry
may or may not have subordinate entries. Note that the server will not
dereference any aliases in locating the entry to be changed.

4.10 <info added as last sentence of entry description>
<-	entry: the name of the entry to be compared with.
>-	entry: the name of the entry to be compared with. Note that the
server will not dereference any aliases in locating the entry to be compared
with.

Jim