From: Salter, Thomas A [mailto:Thomas.Salter@unisys.com]
Sent: Friday, 19 January 2001 3:31
To: Volpers, Helmut; Salter, Thomas A
Cc: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: When to not deref aliases

But X.509, Section 6 Simple Authentication Procedure, says
"2) B sends the purported distinguished name and password of A to the
Directory, where the password is checked against that held as the
UserPassword attribute within the directory entry for A (using the Compare
operation of the Directory);"

The default for Compare is to dereference aliases and the Bind doesn't
contain a service control to override it.

Moreover, an X.500 alias entry is unlikely to contain a UserPassword
attribute, so any attempt to authenticate against an alias is sure to fail.