RE: When to not deref aliases

So it sounds like we should state that Compare and ModDN do not deref the alias. Does X.500 deref the bind name (or equiv) if it's an alias?

Jim

>>> "Ramsay, Ron" <Ron.Ramsay@ca.com> 11/16/00 7:24:03 PM >>>
You're right, Compare should not dereference (as it has no way of saying not
to dereference).

As regards X.500, CommonArguments, ServiceControls contains
(where Bind is not an operation). Of course, it is ignored in update
operations.

Ron.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]
Sent: Friday, 17 November 2000 13:05
To: Jim Sermersheim
Cc: Ron.Ramsay@ca.com; ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: When to not deref aliases

At 06:39 PM 11/16/00 -0700, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Well, I don't think we can do that for v3. I'm just trying to get
clarification on whether we should explicitly state that alias dereferencing
does not happen for those three op's.

I assume this is in X.500 somewhere, but I believe aliases
should be dereferenced during processing of the search operation.
Other operations should act upon the alias, not the aliased object.