RE: Comments on draft-zeilenga-ldapbis-rfc2253-01.txt

<rm2></rm2> this time. I've dropped Section 2.3 since it looks
like Tim and I agree. Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Timothy Hahn [mailto:hahnt@us.ibm.com]
Subject: RE: Comments on draft-zeilenga-ldapbis-rfc2253-01.txt

Ryan,

see my comments below with <TJH> ... </TJH>

Greetings,

<rm2>[snip]...</rm2>

Section 2.4:
A note indicating that UTF-8 characters may be escaped using the "\nn" form
would be helpful - noting that in this case, multiple escaped bytes will be
required.

<rm>Hmm, I thought there was something in the ABNF already?</rm>

<TJH>I checked the draft again this morning.  While the draft indicates
that a value is first transformed to a UTF-8 string (according to RFC
2252), it also indicates that

"Implementations MAY escape other characters."

It then goes on to state that the character to be escaped

"is replaced by a backslash and two hex digits, which form a single byte in
the code of the character."

There is an example in section 4 that contains an escaped UTF-8 character.
It just seems to me that we could describe how to escape multi-byte
characters a bit more than what is in the second quote in this
paragraph.</TJH>

<rm2>Hmmm.  Isn't the multi byte character concern covered under the UTF-8
transformation?  I take the sentence about escape to mean if an
implementation has a reserved character it can escape it.  Maybe I'm
confused [that often happens :-)].</rm2>

Regards,
Tim Hahn

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS or IBMUSM00(HAHNT)
phone: 607.752.6388     tie-line: 8/852.6388
fax: 607.752.3681