From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]
Sent: Thursday, 23 November 2000 12:38
To: Ramsay, Ron
Cc: Mark Smith; Jim Sermersheim; ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: Critical controls

At 11:56 AM 11/23/00 +1100, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>What would be the harm in processing the abandon. Abandon WAS requested.

The harm is in processing an operation which has no defined semantics.

Per my reading of RFC 2251, both abandon/unbind requests with
unsupported and/or inappropriate critical controls should be
ignored.

My suggestion is to make an except for unbind.  If there
is objection to such a change, I withdraw it.

Kurt