Re: LBER (BER restrictions)

Looking at this again, I suggest we enumerate all things that are OCTET STRING values and explicitly state those that are exceptions to the BER restrictions.

value                         exempt?

LDAPString                    no (are there special cases where this is yes?)
LDAPOID                       no
AttributeValue                yes
AssertionValue                yes
Control.controlValue          no?
AuthenticationChoice.simple   yes?
SaslCredentials.credentials   yes
BindResponse.serverSaslCred   yes
ExtendedRequest.requestValue  no?
ExtendedResponse.response     no?
I'm not sure about those with ? marks.

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

> In section 5.1 of RFC 2251, after enumerating the restrictions on BER it says:
>
> "These restrictions do not apply to ASN.1 types encapsulated inside of
> OCTET STRING values, such as attribute values, unless otherwise noted."
>
> I think this should also apply control values and extended operation values.
> If so, I'll call those out as well here for clarification.

Are you suggesting that Control/controlValue,
ExtendedRequest/requestValue, and ExtendedResponse/response NOT be
subject to the BER restrictions outlined in section 5.1?  I would prefer
that they continue to be subject to the restrictions.  Why?  Because
controls and extensions can be standardized and there are advantages in
having the restrictions in place (both in terms of increased efficiency
and in terms of reduced complexity).

--
Mark Smith
Directory Product Development / Netscape