Re: LBER (BER restrictions)

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

> In section 5.1 of RFC 2251, after enumerating the restrictions on BER it says:
>
> "These restrictions do not apply to ASN.1 types encapsulated inside of
> OCTET STRING values, such as attribute values, unless otherwise noted."
>
> I think this should also apply control values and extended operation values.
> If so, I'll call those out as well here for clarification.

Are you suggesting that Control/controlValue,
ExtendedRequest/requestValue, and ExtendedResponse/response NOT be
subject to the BER restrictions outlined in section 5.1?  I would prefer
that they continue to be subject to the restrictions.  Why?  Because
controls and extensions can be standardized and there are advantages in
having the restrictions in place (both in terms of increased efficiency
and in terms of reduced complexity).

--
Mark Smith
Directory Product Development / Netscape