From: owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of Jim Sermersheim
Sent: Thursday, 16 November 2000 12:31
To: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Attribute Type character set

Section 4.1.4 in RFC 2251 talks about the allowable characters for an
attribute type name (when represented as a string). It includes ASCII
letters, digits and hyphens. My assumption is that this came from section
9.3 of X.680 which states:

"An "identifier" shall consist of an arbitrary number (one or more) of
letters, digits, and hyphens. The initial character shall be a lower-case
letter. A hyphen shall not be the last character. A hyphen shall not be
immediately followed by another hyphen."

RFC 2251 doesn't place the same restrictions on hyphen characters (or the
case of the inital character). I don't suppose this causes problems with
X.500/LDAP gateways but I wanted to be sure.

Jim