Re: No new features

Is it something existing LDAPv3 clients use in RFC 2251-56?  Then it is not a
new feature.  Is there a way for LDAPv3 clients to determine whether it is
supported by a server?  Then it is an extension.  If it is not in 2251 and
cannot be determined through supportedControls, supportedExtensions or
normal subschema then it is is a new feature. I am not comfortable about
things 'sneaking' into a specification.  The changes need to be individually
reviewed by the working group.  Attempts to add features during the development
of 2251 was frequently rejected by the working group in email or in meetings.
I think it is a bad idea to add new features and hope no one complains; they
will.

Mark Wahl
Sun Microsystems Inc.