Following referrals

I need to understand this statement from RFC 2251 section 4.1.11:

"All the URLs MUST be equally capable of being used to progress the operation"

On one hand, this seems to say that the server that issues a referral, MUST ensure that that server is running and capable of servicing the operation, or capable of returning a referral to yet another server.

On the other hand, it doesn't say that at all, it simply says all URLs are "equally" capable of being used... This implies that they may all be equally incapable as well (it only states that their capability is equal, not that their capability is at some specified level). Pedantic bufoonery, I know.

If the former is the intention (and I know, this is outside the scope of the document), how is this a reasonable requirement if we want servers to work in a heterogeneous environment? What reasons exist that prevent us from changing this MUST to a SHOULD?

Jim