Re: anonymous binds

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> 11/14/00 7:15:32 PM >>>
>At 04:26 PM 11/14/00 -0500, Mark C Smith wrote:
>>No.  I am saying that I believe a > 0 length DN with an empty password should be accepted as an anonymous bind.  I think Kurt was suggesting that servers should return invalidCredentials instead if the DN is of non-zero length..
>
>RFC 1777 makes a distinction between unauthenticated and anonymous
>bind.  That is, they are NOT synonymous.
>
>I see the following four usages:
>
>  DN            Password        Usage
>  empty empty           anonymous
>  non-empty     empty           unauthenticated
>  non-empty     non-empty       authentication
>  empty non-empty       authentication *
RFC 1777 doesn't talk about the fourth case, though I agree with the notion of allowing it as a valid form of authentication and leaving it's semantics unspecified.

>We should not disallow any of these usages in the revised specification.
>However, we might want to clarify each usage and any usage-specific
>security consideration.

I agree with explicitly calling out each usage. So far, LDAP has never talked about what an anonymous bind or unatuhenticated bind means, i.e. what identity is assumed, what privileges are granted. I'm not sure how much we can or should say about each in the protocol doc's security section.