Re: anonymous binds

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

2) Which signifies an anonymous bind, an empty name or empty simple password?

A simple bind with an empty password.   By my reading of 2251,
the DN should be empty and ignored if present.  However, for
security reasons, I believe this is bad.  I believe it appropriate
to say that the DN shall be empty and if not, invalidCredentials
returned.

I disagree. I am not sure what the X.500 specifications say about this, but it has been a long standing practice for LDAP clients to use simple bind with a DN of length > 0 with no password to allow the LDAP server to log an identity for the informational purposes such as usage statistics (of course the name is not authenticated in any way). I do not think we should introduce this kind of incompatible change at this time.

--
Mark Smith
Netscape Directory Product Development