Re: RFC2253bis: "a published table"

At 11:35 AM 11/1/00 -0700, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>I like the removal of the "example" language, but this also stops any future attribute name from being used.
>If, for example, I have an attribute called SSN and I want to use it as a naming attribute, there is no way for me to get it into the table so that people don't have to use its OID form in string representations of DNs.

Given the problems associated with depending BER DN-> LDAP DN string
generation upon the controlling schema or other DSA-specific (or shared)
information, restricting the use of attributes names to those in "a
published table" is sound and should not be changed.

Given that this table likely needs to be embedded in implementations,
a static table is a very good thing.  If a implementation where to
use a different table than another implementation, I believe
significant interoperability problems would arise.

Kurt