Re: RFC2253bis: "a published table"

Kurt,

If you are stating that attribute type names that are NOT in the table MUST NOT be used in DNs, rather, that the associated OBJECT IDENTIFIER be used, I think that this would break many existing implementations.  Further, it all but requires that LDAP "clients" hold onto a "name" <-> OID mapping table of their own in order to build "proper" DNs for communication over "the wire".

The OS/390 LDAP server has this issue today because it already supports multiple naming contexts, each of which is backed by a different data base implementation - and each implementation has its own, specific, schema.  We have found that the "subschemasubentry" attribute in the rootDSE, even though it is multi-valued, provides "ambiguous" data if multiple values are in that attribute - which value corresponds to which namingContext?

In the current OS/390 implmentation, the server "chooses" what, in general, is the "more complete" schema, in order to "normalize" incoming distinguished names and determine which "namingContext/database" the request is really destined for.

I would like to see the issues of multiple namingContexts and differing schemas between them addressed much better in follow-on work to RFC 2251.

One idea that we've had is the following:

a) all servers are expected to publish the DN of the schema used to "route requests" (when multiple namingContexts are involved) as a SINGLE VALUE in the subschemasubentry attribute of the rootDSE
b) schemas for each namingContext can be found at DN: cn=schema, <namingContext>.  These names can be found by looking at the subschemasubentry value returned from a base entry search of the <namingContext> entry - which are already accessible from the rootDSE.
c) publishing schema at a FIXED DN (like "cn=schema") is problematic when multiple LDAP servers exist in an environment/enterprise

Regards,
Tim Hahn

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS or IBMUSM00(HAHNT)
phone: 607.752.6388     tie-line: 8/852.6388
fax: 607.752.3681

Sent by:        owner-ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org