Re: RFC 2255bis

At 11:27 AM 10/24/00 -0600, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>I have a few issues with this document that I'd like to see resolved.
>
>1) References to RFC 1738. Can we update these to 2396 and make the appropriate section changes?

I believe it's general practice to update all references to the
latest incarnation of the technical specification.

Note that !bindname=jimse is invalid, value should be a DN.

It would be interesting to see there has been work to use
userinfo to specify SASL authentication (and TLS) information
in an URI-scheme independent manner.

>2) Missing search constraints: The following elements of a search request are missing. derefAliases, size/timeLimit, typesOnly. We need some of these to be available, specifically for referrals and search continuations.

Is there a need for the continued search to operate under different values
of these elements?  That is, are there cases where reuse of the elements
in the request to be continued is not possible?

>3) BNF grammar. It would be nice if the document specified what flavor of BNF is being used in section 3.

On a general BNF note, I'd like to see all LDAP Technical Specifications
use the same ABNF.  I suggest that we use the ABNF as described in RFC
2234 (which should be progressed to Draft Standard before we're ready
to progress anything to Draft Standard).