Re: Standard Track dependencies on Informational RFCs

To summarize the ietf@ietf.org discussion (which likely will
continues on until the next IPv6/NAT/WAP debate):

It looks like MD5 (RFC 1321) and HMAC (RFC 2104) are
"Other Specifications" for which the IESG has requested to be
published as Informational RFCs such that they can be referenced
by Standard Track specifications (per RFC 2026 7.1.2).  As such,
LDAPv3 specifications (namely RFC2831) can continue to reference
these two technical specifications.

Privately, an IESG member suggested:
  it would be ideal if the words in the reference section of the ldap
  doc could say something like
    MD5  - RSA In specification xyz, published as RFC xxx
  that makes it clear that the standard is not the info RFC but the
  specification as stated by RSA

There has also been discussion regarding the reference to
RFC 1278 - Presentation Address.  This reference appears not
be inappropriate and we'll likely have to removing the dependency
upon this TS or republish the TS on the Standard Track.  How
best to resolve this issue should likely be deferred until we
have an I-D revising RFC 2252 (which contains the reference).

This discussion basically completes my "normative reference"
homework...  on to more interesting things...

Kurt