RE: X.500 and LDAP alignment

Bob,

I would just like to add a few thoughts to what Erik has mentioned. First, I
would like to reiterate that the new work item is very broadly stated and to
emphasize that the express purpose as stated in the NWI is to "improve
alignment and thereby co-existence and interoperability with LDAP."

Exactly where we will go is yet to be determined, but from my perspective
some of the most important work we can do is to break down barriers to
interoperability.  One very important such barrier that is nearing
completion is the removal of X.500's dependency on OSI's upper layer
protocols. This is being done by providing a thin convergence layer (called
the Internet Directly Mapped protocol, or IDM) between the X.500 protocols
and TCP, thereby allowing implementers the choice of implementing X.500 on
an OSI stack or on TCP. (Note that this is different from RFC-1006 in that
1006 assumed that the OSI upper layers had already been implemented -- IDM
bypasses all that.)

Additional barriers that can (and IMHO should) be removed are things like:
 - allowing LDAP operations to be chained within DSP
 - allowing an X.500 directory to return an LDAP referral
 - allowing distributed name resolution to proceed through the X.500, LDAP,
and DNS (most notably SRV record) namespaces without the user having to care
 - allowing subrequests resulting from the X.518 request decomposition
process to propagate to LDAP as well as X.500
 - allowing the X.500 results merging process to incorporate results from
LDAP as well as X.500 resident entries
 - allowing search-with-join operations to be performed on related entries,
regardless which type of directory holds the entries in question
 - allowing some form of interoperable X.500/LDAP replication

Obviously this is quite a list, none of which is formalized as of yet, but
I'm hoping it gives you a better sense of where this activity may be headed.
I'm also hoping it helps achieve the ever-elusive goal of interoperability!

I would also like to say that I was pleased to read in your note that those
involved in LDAP are pleased that this work is getting underway. I think
both camps will benefit if we can establish good communication and minimize
duplication of effort.

Best regards,

 -- Skip Slone
    Lockheed Martin