Re: add rich data into attribute type definition possible?

2013/8/6 Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>:
For a solution, I'm afraid you'll have to provide your own "local"
translations. Actually I did something like that in Perl for a CGI application

Local translation in application layer is NO-GO. I would have to put the translation to 2 desktop clients in different programming languages and one Android application.

A shadow entry for every customized attribute is the only way to go.

Talking about the general design, I don't expect the standard to shift for the simple requirement of translating description. But make new attribute type definition into the object-like 'entry' brings all the advantage object-oriented data can offer.

- Add slapo-constraint rule right on attribute definition.
- Add auditing rule on speicfic attributes, like password.
- Define an attribute's value should be shorted, right on the attribute's
  definition.
- Define an attribute's value should be unique across the database.

I couldn't be the first to think about this, after-all OOP is so ubiquitous. Even if the idea is valid, a change is always difficult, that's why in IT evolution is usually done by new systems invented to replace the old ones, not by old ones morphing into new ones.