Re: N-Way Master replication no contextcsn

--On Friday, August 02, 2013 09:54:43 AM -0500 espeake@oreillyauto.com wrote:

As a noob upgrading appears to easier said than done.  I am running on
Ubuntu 10.04 on my master and I have tried to create packages from the code
I downloaded from the web site and the install just doesn't work.  So I
found an RPM and and converted it via alien to a deb file and used dpkg to
try and install and even with --force it erred out trying to overwrite the
slapd.d folder.  Is there and easy way to build the package as a deb file
so I can install it and also add it to my repo for the other servers.

I don't know about an easy way, but here is an overview of how we
build OpenLDAP packages for our central LDAP service.

1. Pull the latest source packages from Debian.
2. Use git-import-dsc to create a clone to use with git-buildpackage.
  This lets us take advantage of the packaging work done by the
  Debian maintainers.
3. Clone the OpenLDAP repo and use it to generate an tar ball of the
  lastest source.
4. Use git-import-orig to pull the OpenLDAP tar ball into the Debian
  clone.
5. Resolve any issues with the Debian patches.  This involves running
  quilt push/pop iteratively and adjusting the patches as needed.
  This is really where most of the work is.
6. Apply and Stanford specific changes.  For us this includes using
  openssl, increasing the IDL cache, and turning off c optimization.
7. Run git-buildpackage.

I should really move our internal build documenation to an external
web server someday.  Of course, this assumes that you have an
environment that is ready for git-buildpackage.

This seems like many steps, but once you get a build environment it
is simple to pickup new releases from OpenLDAP.  Generally it just
involves starting with a git-import-orig of the latest tarball and
small adjustments to patches.

Bill

--

Bill MacAllister
Infrastructure Delivery Group, Stanford University