3)If I know I'm going to have greater than 64K elements, is there any way to force it to use ranges at server startup and avoid the delay?  I didn't see any such option.

Quanah - Yes, I understood that 65,536 is a power of 2 and it's importance in computer processing  :)

Thanks again for the answers

Inactive hide details for Howard Chu ---07/30/2013 05:11:30 PM---Mark Cooper wrote: > I've been doing some testing using OpenLDHoward Chu ---07/30/2013 05:11:30 PM---Mark Cooper wrote: > I've been doing some testing using OpenLDAP with BDB on a couple of different

From: Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com>
To: Mark Cooper/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS, openldap-technical@openldap.org,
Date: 07/30/2013 05:11 PM
Subject: Re: OpenLDAP (using BDB) stalls adding 65,536th entry
Sent by: openldap-technical-bounces@openldap.org

Mark Cooper wrote:
> I've been doing some testing using OpenLDAP with BDB on a couple of different
> platforms.  I noticed a similar situation.  When I sit in a loop doing adds,
> at the 65,536th added entry the process stalls for a short period of time.
>   After a minute or two, the add succeeds.  My first thought is that this is a
> BDB issue, so I posted this question to Oracle's BDB forum.  But I have yet to
> receive any answer.

This is all known/expected behavior. One (or more) of your index slots hit its
maxsize of 65535 elements and was collapsed into a range. This typically
happens with the objectClass index first, if you're adding a bunch of objects
all of the same classes.

Taking a minute or two is abnormal, but I suppose is possible if multiple
indices hit the condition at the same time.

--
  -- Howard Chu
  CTO, Symas Corp.