Re: understanding ldap

Rodney Simioni wrote:
> /etc/openldap/ldap.conf  # this config file is openldap server's ldap
> config file?

No, it's a LDAP client config.  Mostly likely for OpenLDAP ldap* command-line
tools but sometimes also for other components.

> /etc/ldap.conf # This config file is for ldap's clients?

Sometimes it's used for LDAP clients like pam_ldap, sudo-ldap etc. It also
might affect the behaviour of clients implement in a scripting language which
uses OpenLDAP client libs through C wrapper modules (like php-ldap,
python-ldap, etc.)

The way various software and distributions deal with ldap.conf in several
directories is a mess and entirely depends on how the software author / Linux
distributor built the client software.

> If I want to test test if LDAP is configured with TLS/SSL with this
> command ldapsearch -d -1 -x -LLL -ZZ, do I need a ldap client config
> file?

A host parameter is missing (see -H) in the example above.
The OpenLDAP command-line tools all have options for specifying all LDAP
parameters you might need.

Ciao, Michael.