Substring Indexes on userPassword Attribute

Hi,

I have a need to find out how many of my users are using different
password hashing methods, so I went and tried to do this search:

ldapsearch -D uid=tjg,ou=People,dc=com -W -b ou=People,dc=com
'userPassword={SHA}*'

But that didn't return anything.  So I figured maybe I needed to
create a substr index on that attribute.  When I did that, slapindex
returned:

slapd.conf: line 82: substr index of attribute "userPassword" disallowed

Why is that?  How can I do a search that would tell me which of my
users is using an SHA-hashed password?

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg@ucsc.edu