Re: Debian Squeeze: Slapd subtree disappears, but ldapsearch finds it | unable to allocate memory for mutex; resize mutex region

--On Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:18 PM +0200 Simone Piccardi <piccardi@truelite.it> wrote:

On 05/02/2013 06:10 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

Sorry, as someone who used to maintain some 600 servers for a major
university running a very wide variety of services, I disagree. If you
can't figure out an easy way to build and distribute your own packages
in an automated fashion, you are putting yourself at the mercy of your
distribution provider's capabilities and competence, which has been
shown time and again to be severely lacking in multiple areas.

I can figure it, but that was not my point. The point is that in a lot of
situations people prefer to be at the mercy of a distribution provider
and less dependent from a skilled sysadmin (or an external consultant)
because this would cost them less on update management.

It costs them "less" until such a time as they have a catastrophic failure because of the fact they tried to cut corners by relying on distribution software. Then they get the cost of dealing with the mess they are to blame for by trying to cut costs in the first place.

I would note that OpenLDAP is not unique with the issues caused by distribution builds. The postfix authors give the same advice. Don't use the outdated distribution packages: <http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2013-05/0021.html>

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.