Reduce the influence of ldap server trouble

Hi all

I'm a beginner of openldap.
When I can't use a ldap server because of hardware or network trouble, I want to reduce the influence of ldap client.
I changed the following configration of ldap.conf.

 bind_policy soft
 bind_timelimit 10
 nss_initgroups_ignoreusers [local users...]

Are there other solutions to reduce the influence?

I use WebSphereMQ on Linux server.
I added MQ's startup user 'mqm' to nss_initgroups_ignoreusers.
But WebSphereMQ's startup command 'strmqm' always tries to connect to a ldap server. (I think that's a specification.)

I use a ldap server to authentification of server maintenance members.
But in some case such as above is it better not to use ldap?