A bit confused about rootpw

I'm trying to replicate a production problem, so I setup a test server.

I rsynced everything from /etc/openldap and /var/lib/ldap, and confirmed that both systems have the same exact openldap packages installed.

For some reason on the test box, I cannot bind as the rootdn, it keeps saying invalid credentials.

reluctantly, i've updated slapd.conf with a new rootpw, but that doesn't seem to be working either.
I've ran grep -RHi olcRootPW on the slapd.d directory, but it came back with nothing.

Any thoughts?

rsync options used "-avz --delete"

Thanks,
Dan