slapd ACL to allow Password Modify exop by ldappasswd - but deny direct modification via ldapmodify

Hi,

I've been through google and the man pages - no avail. If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful :)

slapd.conf acl:

access to attrs=userPassword
        by peername.path="/var/run/slapd/ldapi" manage
        by dn="cn=admin,dc=dighum,dc=kcl,dc=ac,dc=uk" manage
        by self write
        by * auth

This allows ldappasswd to work, but of course, it also allows anybody to issue an ldapmodify against their own record and store a weak hash (eg {crypt} ) or worse, bypass my check_password plugin policy enforcer.

Removing the "self write" line kills ldapmodify, but also seems to break the password modify exop issues by ldappasswd.

So - how do I allow ldappasswd to work (which respects the policies and allows the server to hash the password using its default hash - SSHA1 in my case) whilst disallowing *direct* modify access to the userPassword: entry?

Answers on a postcard, or a wet herring as appropriate :-|

Many thanks!

Tim

--
Tim Watts