Why is DN invalid?

Hello all,

I've installed openldap 2.4.33 on OpenSUSE 11 and am trying out the perl backend.
I got my certificate issues sorted out and everything seems good - until I search our
university server which returns dn's such as:

unbCaId=9e3454b178993cc73619606d22c7882755c9cb0d,ou=people,dc=unb,dc=ca

When I return entry from search routine in perl module  I get error "str2entry: entry -1 has invalid DN".
I can't see anything wrong with the dn (other than it is ugly). Are there length restrictions for
individual components of a dn? All similar problems I've discovered on the net are issues with
commas, plus signs, quotes or unicode characters. No doubt there is something I've overlooked
so please point me in the right direction.

cheers,

Dave C.