weighted valsort for telephone Numbers

Hi Quanah,

I just found an old post of yours, and I'd be interested to know if and how you solved that problem, because I ran into the same need.

Thanks
Ben

We would like to be able to use valsort to weight telephoneNumber values in OpenLDAP. However, modifications of that type get rejected by the SYNTAX validation for telephoneNumber because it contains {}'s. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to override the SYNTAX in this case? Should valsort be modified to do so? Basically, the desired behavior would be for the non-weighted part (i.e., the actual data) of the value to be validated via the SYNTAX rules, but the weight part at the beginning ignored.

Principal Software Developer
ITS/Shared Application Services
Stanford University