Re: missing entry in slapcat backup

Meike Stone wrote:
Hello dear List,

I tried to import a slapcat backup from our production machine in a
test environment and got following message:

debld02:~ # time slapadd  -w -q -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -l /backup.ldif
50f98421 mdb_monitor_db_open: monitoring disabled; configure monitor
database to enable
-#################### 100.00% eta   none elapsed          09m18s spd   4.6 M/s
Closing DB...Error, entries missing!
   entry 1156449: ou=a,ou=b,ou=c,ou=root

First I did not noticed this message, but now I see the database is
broken, because the node "ou=a" is missing.
So my questions:

- What ist the origin for such orphaned nodes (In MMR, it happens and
I see a few glue records, but in my backup this one node is complete
missing...)?

- How can I prevent from such entires and how can I recognize them
without importing?

It's easiest just to let slapadd tell you.

- How can I remove this entry (esp. in production DB without
downtime), because a delete show following messages:

~ # ldapdelete -x -h localhost -w password -D cn=admin,ou=root
'cn=cname,ou=a,ou=b,ou=c,ou=root'
ldap_delete: Other (e.g., implementation specific) error (80)
         additional info: could not locate parent of entry

and if I try to add this missing node, then I get:
ldapadd -x -h localhost -w password -D"cn=admin,ou=root" -f test.ldif
adding new entry ou=a,ou=b,ou=c,ou=root
ldap_add: Already exists (68)

Use slapadd to add the missing entry. For back-mdb you don't need to stop slapd while running other slap* tools.

--
  -- Howard Chu