Re: slapd-ldap: second search operation always generates error LdapErr: DSID-0C0906E8

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 09:24:59AM -0700, Bryce Powell wrote:

> I have setup an LDAP proxy using OpenLDAP 2.4.23 running on CentOS release 6.2
> Linux 2.6.32-220.4.2.el6.x86_64. Every second search operation on a connection
> returns an error:
>
> SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=1 nentries=0 text=000004DC: LdapErr: DSID-0C0906E8,
> comment: In order to perform this operation a successful bind must be completed
> on the connection., data 0, v1db1

You later say:

> Every subsequent search operation going forward generates the same error.

which is not quite the same.

In any case, the error you quote obviously comes from the
remote (AD) server so you should focus your investigation on
the link from the OpenLDAP proxy to AD.

> database                ldap
> readonly                on
> suffix                  "dc=example,dc=com"
> # Recreate cached connection before it can be dropped by the Active Directory.
> Default Active Directory timeout MaxConnIdleTime=900
> idle-timeout            899
> rebind-as-user          yes
> uri                     "ldap://169.254.253.228/ ldap://169.254.239.115/ ldap:/
> /169.254.245.81/ ldap://169.254.239.91/";

I would suggest simplifying the setup to start with - cut it
down to a single back-end uri and see what happens. If that
works properly, then try with each of those URIs in turn in
case one of the remote servers is set up differently.

You should consider using tcpdump and/or wireshark to watch the
traffic from the proxy to the remote AD servers. That will tell
you what is really happenning on the backend links.

As an aside, I would not set the idle-timeout so close to the
value that the remote server uses. It only needs a tiny clock
skew for the behaviour to change completely. You should also
look for firewalls (both in the network and on the servers) and
find out what they do with idle connections: it is usually
seriously damaging to this sort of setup.

Andrew