Permissions, users, startup when install from source

Hi,

If compiling and installing from source, I don't see any information
in the manual about how to auto-start the software and about
process/file/directory permissions and ownership. I'm still searching
the Faq-O-Matic (which is a little frustrating).

Taking a step back, I'd love to install from yum on RHEL/CentOS and
let it be taken care of in a trusted manner. But we require better
password hashing than SHA1, so we are required to compile by hand
using the passwd/sha2 contributed module (little surprised this isn't
accepted into the core project, but I'm sure there are reasons).
Maybe I can find this in a third-party repo somewhere?

After installation, what is commonly done in this regard?  Create
user/group "ldap" with no login shell and chown ldap:ldap on
/usr/local/var/openldap-data?  Is that all?

Then what do people use for auto-starting the software (presumably
with -u ldap -g ldap) in a RedHat environment?

Thanks for the work that you do, thanks for the great software.