Re: slapd crashes with ch_realloc of X bytes failed

--On Monday, January 14, 2013 11:33 PM +0100 Meike Stone <meike.stone@googlemail.com> wrote:

2013/1/14 Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com>:

Sorry, I don't have your configuration memorized.  Generally, you should
list:

Oops sorry, I used my gmail account and did not see, that the thread
in the mailing list is "broken"..

Here are all posted informations from my production system
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201211/msg00164.html

memory allocator (should be tcmalloc, if you've set that up correctly)
In the test system yes (us see it in the pmaps), but on production, I use
glibc.

You should fix that. glibc is well known to be problematic in its memory allocation.

DB Information:
a) Total number of DNs in your database
about 1.500.000

b) DB_CONFIG settings

set_cachesize 2 0 1
set_lg_regionmax 262144
set_lg_bsize 2097152
set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE

Your cachesize is extremely low for the size of your DB. I'd expect a 5GB cachesize minimum here.

c) Size of database on disk: du -c -h *.bdb

27M     MyActivateTime.bdb
8.0K    MyClassName.bdb
30M     MyDeletedTime.bdb
14M     MyInsertDate.bdb
92K     MyJpeg.bdb
1.9M    MyKey.bdb
2.2M    MyLanguage.bdb
184K    MyPhoneNumber.bdb
38M     MyPk.bdb
14M     MyPId.bdb
5.4M    MyPIfId.bdb
9.4M    MyProductTyp.bdb
140K    MyProperty.bdb
2.5M    MySystemFlag.bdb
22M     MyUserName.bdb
184K    MyVId.bdb
428M    cn.bdb
728M    dn2id.bdb
37M     entryCSN.bdb
39M     entryUUID.bdb
4.0G    id2entry.bdb
6.2M    objectClass.bdb
5.4G    total

From slapd.conf/cn=config:
a) cachesize setting
b) idlcachesize setting
c) dncachesize setting

cachesize		750000
dncachesize		750000
idlcachesize	        2250000

Thanks and best regards

Your settings here don't make a lot of sense.

I would try
cachesize 1500000
dncachesize 0 (or leave it unset)
idlcachesize 3000000

Your current idlcachesize in particular may be part of the issue in addition to your glibc setting.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.