Re: OpenLDAP as an address book for MS Outlook

Michael Str?der wrote:

> >> Because it's not in the subschema. You have to add it there.
> >
> > Where could I obtain a .schema definition?
> > "grep -i supportedCapabilities /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/*"
> > comes up with nothing.
>
> It's a vendor-specific attribute type defined in MS AD:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc223359%28v=prot.20%29.aspx
>
> You might want to grab it from MS AD subschema subentry or from Samba sources.

Thanks, I will try.

> > Outlook does show contacts from the OpenLDAP addressbook when I
> > specifically search for them, so my general setup (attributes etc) seems
> > to be correct. But I want it to show all the contacts before any search is
> > done. The user can them pick the contacts from the list with a mouse and
> > send mail to them.
>
> Sorry, missed that part of the discussion.
> Well, this is not usable at all anyway if the LDAP server contains
> more than a few dozens of contacts. So that's not a viable
> requirement for me.

Somehow it is quite usable with an Exchange or Communigate server
containing thousands of contacts. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Outlook does not request all those contacts at once to populate the
addresslist (what would be madness), it just shows the beginning of
the list, and I think it requests additional entries as you scroll the
list.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru