Re: BDB: Converting mmapped files to shared memory: Need slap{cat,add}?

Dear Quanah and Howard,

Thank you both very much for your help.

On 27/08/12 00:40 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Monday, August 27, 2012 9:42 AM +1000 Nick Urbanik
<nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Dear Folks,

I have a large production 2.4.32 LDAP server slaving many trees.  I
set it up with memory-mapped files, and want to change it to use
shared memory instead, since shared memory BDB seems to work better
after watching the other servers that have been upgraded 2.3 => 2.4.32
with shared memory.

To convert this, do I need to slapcat the directories and restore them
after the configuration change with slapadd, or is it sufficient to
use db_recover in each LDAP database after changing the configuration
while slapd is stopped?

All you have to do is modify slapd.conf/cn=config to use a shared memory
key.  BDB should take care of the rest.  There is definitely no need to
slapcat/slapadd the DB.  A shared memory key changes where BDB stores its
cache, not where the database is stored, or how slapd interfaces with BDB.

If using slapd.conf, you need to manually do a db_recover to make the change
take effect.

Thank you, that is what I did, since I had also changed the cache size
in DB_CONFIG, and it all works swimmingly!  Thank you.
--
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 808-71011 nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24