Re: What will happen if a user is a member of a group, but has another group as its primary group

On 08/01/12 10:00 -0500, Dan White wrote:
On 08/01/12 22:21 +0800, Qian Zhang wrote:

In my OpenLDAP server, it is possible to set a user as a member of a
group, but it has another group as its primary group (I am using "LDAP
Admin" as LDAP client tool). For example, in group1, I can see user1
as its "memberUid" attribute, but the "gidNumber" attribute of user1
is group2.

Yes. That's known to work.

Be aware that installing an nss ldap plugin to resolve group membership
*can* be very resource intensive, since each call to getgrouplist(3), such
as when ssh'ing into the host, can result in your entire ldap group OU
being iterated over. Appropriate indexing and caching is critical.