Re: substitute a schema

Howard Chu wrote:
> paulo bruck wrote:
>> I have already try using :
>> ldapdelete -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:/// cn={6}squid,cn=schema,cn=config
>> but received a:
>> ldap_delete: Server is unwilling to perform (53)
>>
>> Doing it by hand it worked ( stoping ldap, substituted cn=squid  with new one
>> and restarting ldap), but  I know that is not correct...
>>
>> How can I do it using ldapdelete ?
>
> You don't. Use ldapmodify and fix the definitions; don't delete them and
> create them again. This isn't Microsoft,

You can't delete schema elements in MS AD either. This prevents most AD
deployers to design custom schema when nessary. Instead already available
attributes are misused a lot...

> deleting and starting over is not the
> way things are done.

Frankly sometimes I really enjoy the good old days with deleting things and
starting over. ;-)

With schema this can lead to some not so obvious issues with existing entries
though. So best thing is to develop schema in a separate system and mark
schema elements not used anymore with key-word OBSOLETE.

Ciao, Michael.