Binlogs Growing umlimited

Hi

We are maintaining a huge LDAP Directory with x thousands records. This OpenLDAP instance is only for load and performance tests of our software. I've recently noticed that the bin logs of the bdb backend are growing nearly unlimited. (The LDAP Server gets replicated to an other one in an active/passive cluster).
To gain the "wasted" space back, we're writing the bin logs back to to the main database every 24 hours. Now we are faced with an ldap server which can only read from its database. After an restart of the server everything works as expected but the same happens again irregularly...

My Questions are:

 1. what could happen with the server, which makes it only being able to read of its own db?
 2. why are the bin logs are growing so dramatically?

Thanks for any help
Tom