From: Quanah Gibson-Mount [mailto:quanah@zimbra.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:38 AM
To: Richards, Toby; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: RE: ldapd vs. slapd

--On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:57 AM -0700 "Richards, Toby"
<toby.richards@slo.courts.ca.gov> wrote:

> Yes. I have one of those free subdomains (org.org), so mine is
> toby.org.org.
>
> Something is definitely wrong. I've been scouring the Internet for
> documentation and tutorials. I finally broke down, and downloaded a
> GUI LDAP tool. Actually, I've tried several including jxplorer and
> LDAP Administration Tool, but I like the one by Jarek Gawor best:
>
> http://www.novell.com/communities/node/8652/gawors-excellent-ldap-brow
> ser
> edi tor-v282
>
> Anyway, the GUI isn't even working. It gives me errors that it can't
> read dc=toby,dc=org,dc=org. It errors and fails when I try to add a
> user. I'm not sure what could be wrong with my conf files. They're
> pretty much set up with all the defaults except with my own realm
> instead of dc=example,dc=com.
>
> Am I supposed to do something between editing the conf files/starting
> slapd and adding users?

Yes, you have to create the database, starting from the top and working your
way down.

My DB starts at "", so I have to create the entire structure starting at
dc=com.  Adjust accordingly for your db:

dn: dc=com
objectClass: organization
objectClass: dcObject
o: com domain