RE: ldapd vs. slapd

--On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:57 AM -0700 "Richards, Toby" <toby.richards@slo.courts.ca.gov> wrote:

Yes. I have one of those free subdomains (org.org), so mine is
toby.org.org.

Something is definitely wrong. I've been scouring the Internet for
documentation and tutorials. I finally broke down, and downloaded a GUI
LDAP tool. Actually, I've tried several including jxplorer and LDAP
Administration Tool, but I like the one by Jarek Gawor best:

http://www.novell.com/communities/node/8652/gawors-excellent-ldap-browser
edi tor-v282

Anyway, the GUI isn't even working. It gives me errors that it can't read
dc=toby,dc=org,dc=org. It errors and fails when I try to add a user. I'm
not sure what could be wrong with my conf files. They're pretty much set
up with all the defaults except with my own realm instead of
dc=example,dc=com.

Am I supposed to do something between editing the conf files/starting
slapd and adding users?

Yes, you have to create the database, starting from the top and working your way down.

My DB starts at "", so I have to create the entire structure starting at dc=com. Adjust accordingly for your db:

dn: dc=com
objectClass: organization
objectClass: dcObject
o: com domain