overlays and frontend database

Hello list.

I have some questions about defining overlays on the frontend
database. Documentation (manual pages) is not very consistent
about it:

slapd.overlays

| Most of the overlays are only allowed to be configured on
| individual databases, but some may also be configured
| globally.

slapd.conf

| Note that all of the database's regular settings should be
| configured before any overlay settings.

slapd-config

| Settings in the frontend database are inherited by the other
| databases, unless they are explicitly overridden in a
| specific database.

| Overlays must be configured as child entries of a specific
| database.

| Starting from OpenLDAP 2.3 they can be stacked on the
| frontend as well; this means that they can be executed after
| a request is parsed and validated, but right before the
| appropriate database is selected.

Are there are some overlays that can be applied on the
fronted database (globally)?

What about the inheritance as mentioned in slapd-config?
(Maybe I didn't understand this correctly.)

>From what I have tried, enabling an overlay on fronted
database makes slapd to segfault due to accessing a null
pointer or due to a heap overflow. It seems that there
are no verifications of overlay settings, because both
slapadd and ldapmodify succeed when enabling the void
configuration.

Please, what is the expected behavior?

Regards,

Jan