Re: Dynamic to Static LDAP

On 12/3/2012 9:44 ÏÎ, Gaurav Gugnani wrote:

I made my system running on dynamic LDAP like from past 2 months and in this span of time i implemented several changes. Now, suppose today i plan to again move back to use static configuration - Will i able to save all my changes what i did in all this time? OR All changes made are lost?

If Lost - Is there any way to retrieve the changes which i made?

According to: http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201110/msg00212.html: "As far as the OpenLDAP Project is concerned, conversion from slapd.conf to slapd.d is a one-way trip. Migrate everything else forward."

For backing up you dynamic config: You can slapcat the config database (slapcat -n 0 -l config_current.ldif), keep it like that or change whatever and slapadd it back while the server is offline (slapadd -F /etc/ldap/slapd.d -n 0 -l config.ldif). You could also manually convert it to a slapd.conf (it should not be that difficult), although this is not encouraged. You may also want to read: http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201110/msg00212.html, http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201110/msg00251.html etc.

Since OpenLDAP is progressively moving away from slapd.conf, admins should progressively adapt to dynamic config. Nevertheless, experimentation is not prohibited!

Changes are never lost. Just backup/store/handle your config(s) appropriately.

Best regards,
Nick