Issues in implementing SASL

Hello All,

I'm trying to configure SASL on openldap and did following steps:

1> Modify the password of the user:
     saslpasswd2 -c -u <realm> <username>
2> Then i modify slapd.conf:
    sasl-regexp uid=(.*),cn=<realm>,cn=DIGEST-MD5,cn=auth uid=$1,ou=System,o=<realm>
3> After this i try to do ldapsearch and it gave me an error:
    ldap_bind: Server is unwilling to perform (53)
        additional info: unauthenticated bind (DN with no password) disallowed

Somewhere i read that we have to provide SASL information in slapd.conf however when i write below mentioned content - then ldap doesn't re-start.
dn:uid=<username>,ou=System,o=<realm>
bindmethod=sasl
saslmech=DIGEST-MD5
credentials=<password>
realm=<realm>

Please help in resolving SASL mechanism to be used.

Thanks and Regards,
Gaurav Gugnani