Re: Value of contextCSN not persisted

Hi Quanah!

First of all: Thanks for answering the original question. I was wondering
first why changes to the database content as such have been persisted and
the new contextCSN hasn't until I found that this syncprov-checkpoint thing
actually belongs to the syncprov overlay. So I guess it makes sense to
switch that on as otherwise - for example after a power failure - I would
have lost information, wouldn't I?

Now please allow me some remarks about the part of your answer which I did
expect and where you met my expectation straight:

>>> We're using OpenLDAP 2.4.23 on Debian Linux. The backend is a
back-hdb.

>> Upgrade.

I understand that the behavior which I asked about originally is NOT a bug
but "works as designed", so why should I upgrade then?

Actually, yes, newer is better most of the time in OSS land, but still, in
a production system IMO you cannot upgrade your software every week, can
you?

The other part of the problem is that OpenLDAP is releasing a lot faster
than most distros manage to update their packages. For example, in Debian
right now they are working on getting 2.4.25 into "experimental" while
you're at 2.4.28 already. On average, Debian as well as Ubuntu and others
are frequently 2-3 releases behind the current one.

I by no means want to blame the OpenLDAP team for releasing, so maybe I am
preaching to the wrong audience here, but I want to run my productive
systems with packaged software, not with software which I compiled on the
fly from a tarball. So it would be nice if the Debian team would just be
faster to package OpenLDAP and maybe move it to the volatile section of
their distribution.

Another alternative would of course be a PPA or any other mechanism where
the OpenLDAP team would release binary packages for Debian (and possibly
other distros as well) right with every new release. Or does something like
that exist somewhere and I just did not yet find it?

Regards,
Torsten

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:01:19 -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount
<quanah@zimbra.com>